Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Bring a gun and have some fun in LV

On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 20:41:49 -0600, Steve Ackman
wrote:

In , on Tue, 01 Sep 2009
00:41:24 -0700, Gunner Asch, wrote:

Anyone have a comment one way or the other?

Was the black guy with the AR15 over his shoulder, peacefuly standing in
an Arizona Tea Party demonstration, along with 15 or 20 other armed
guys, acting like a wack job or not? The Left of course hid the fact he
was black, and started talking about armed white racism and so forth.

Any comments?

It's ARIZONA! Any day of the week you can go to
an auto parts store in Flag, and find at least 10% of
the customers there with sidearms carried openly. You
can walk down the streets of Sedona and see guys
wearing six-shooters. Are these people ALL trying
to intimidate me? It takes a special kind of
insecurity to make that jump in logic.

People from MN and NJ need to spend a little time
in AZ to see for themselves that there's no more
ill-will behind everyday open carry than there is when
someone walks around with a Leatherman on his belt.
Both are tools, generally carried for the purpose of
"just in case," nothing more.

I don't need to spend time in AZ to take your word for that. I admit
to finding it a bit surprising. Open carry is legal in most of MN but
nobody does it in towns or urban settings.

The actions and "statement" of the guy in AZ were noted in places far
removed from AZ, thanks to the media. I don't question, challenge or
deny that his act was within his rights, that is NOT MY POINT. I
maintain that his act was ill-considered and foolish as regards the
preservation of his rights and mine. That's the part that bothers
me.

His act is only a viable statement if it's remarkable. If his conduct
is unremarkable in AZ, as you assert, then it was a faint statement
there. If it is remarkable in other places then it could well be
taken as a defiant "screw you" to people who live in places that are
culturally quite different from Arizona. Statements like that are
not likely to win support for his viewpoint in such places, quite the
contrary. "Screw you" can cut both ways.

The 2d amendment is not an inalienable or God-given right. If the
people of our country were to become sufficiently offended by damned
fools offensively abusing their 2d amendment rights, those rights
could be curtailed or eliminated. The 18th amendment was reversed and
repealed by the 21st. If the act in question wasn't offensive to
people in AZ it still certainly could be to citizens in other parts of
the country.

One media-darling-for-a-day damned fool isn't an epidemic. I'm not
worried, but I'm still bothered a bit by one who must display his
weapon in public, in crowds, at a political rally, to "make a
statement". I interpret that "statement" as "lookitme, I'm
significant because I have a gun and the right to carry it whether you
like it or not!" That interpretation of defiance is supported by his
reported death wish for the president.

You may interpret his "statement" differently in Arizona.

BTW and FYI, I am emphatically NOT a supporter of Obama.

Was the guy carrying an AR-15 trying to "say"
something? Sure, I imagine so... just like a bumper
sticker, he was advertising his message. I don't have
any bumper stickers, and I don't openly carry. People
who want to do that have every right though, and it
impinges on my rights not one whit.

Talk about responsibility that accompanies rights,
it is YOUR responsibility, New Jersians, Minnesotans,
et al., to respect others' choice to voice their
opinions, whether the voice is in a newspaper editorial,
a blog, a bumper sticker, a town meeting, or even an
open carry. Disagree with the message all you want,
but don't disparage the right to voice it.