Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller Gerald Miller is offline

Default Model engineering heat pumps

On 4 Sep 2009 02:59:27 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2009-09-03, Gerald Miller wrote:
On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 00:40:37 GMT, Doug White
wrote:

[ ... ]

Why I was a lad, we had plans for a soda can "un-toaster". We had a
bunch of Peltier effect cooling modules from the local surplus yard, and
the idea was to make a clamping arrangement with four of them to suck the
heat out of a soda can. It would have drawn about 240 Watts. The
crowning touch was to be a lever arrangement to lower the can against a
spring so it would pop up when it was cool.

Many years later, I finally have an adequate shop & skills to build the
mechanism, but no time & no Peltier modules.

Sounds pretty much like the 60 Watt wine chiller I bought for $3 a
couple Saturdays back - took a 1 litre bottle of water from room
temperature to freezing in about 3 hours.

Hmm ... glass container? Mess? (And what is the freezing point
of wine instead of water?)

Enjoy,
DoN.

I doubt that any ice would have formed - just held at 0 deg. C. I
haven't investigated the actual structure but the inner, metal cup
seems uniformly cold. Actually I bought it for the 12V, 5A power
supply.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada