Posted to alt.home.repair
windcrest windcrest is offline

Default Synthetic oil and follow-up oil changes?

On Sep 1, 3:10*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 13:08:11 -0700 (PDT), RickH

wrote:
I went to the Jiffy Lube this weekend and thought I'd splurge and put
in some Castrol Syntec as they were having a sale on it, (vehicle 2007
Toyota RAV4). *When I asked for the Syntec the guy said that once you
go to a synthetic oil, you should stay on it and not go back to
regular oil. *Well since the the regular cost of a Syntec oil change
is double, I said forget it and just put in regular oil.

First, is it true what the guy said about it being "bad" to go back to
regular oil after using synthetic? *If so, why? *I had a car in early
the 90's that loved Mobile 1, ran great on it, I dont remember
dedicating that car to Mobile 1 though for all time, I'm sure I used
all different oils.

Thanks
Rick

* * * * Jiffy Lube must be planing on raising the price of synthetic
oils soon. *

* * * * That old story was a little bit true *back when it first came
out. *There were some non-compatable addative packages. *That problem
is long gone. *

* * * * I would recommend avoiding those quick lube places like the
plague. *They all give the staff too little time to do the job right
(often the job is not done right) and they have a very bad habbit of
selling services that are not needed. *The business model dictates
that kind of business. *They could not make a profit otherwise.- Hide quoted text -

I have to apologize. I shoudn't have called it Jiffy Lube, that name
is becoming like "Xerox" when you go to make a copy "Xerox this
please". The outfit I went to is a local shop (Fullers) not a chain,
they also give a free car wash with every oil change (interior detail
and exterior and vacuum and windows/wheels included). They are good
people but apparently are doing a little customer manipulation on
their Syntec contract.

My bad for calling it Jiffy Lube, thats just what I tend to call all
oil change places.

With the free car wash and $29 for the oil change, I'm coming out
ahead over doing both jobs on my own time.