Posted to alt.home.repair
Henry[_6_] Henry[_6_] is offline

Default Baseboard molding question

Oren wrote:
Henry wrote:

With new construction, sheetrock is usually put up horizontally,
which means there will be a beveled edge along the floor where
the baseboard molding goes. How do I keep the molding flat with
the wall if it's nailed against the bevel on the sheet rock?

As hard as I try, I cannot recall the bottom sheet having the beveled
finish edge at the floor (two full sheets exactly). We used toe-jacks
to lift the sheet up for nailing. We always had to cut the bottom
sheet for the proper width.

If the wall is 8 feet high, seems like two 4 foot sheets
would fit about right. ;-) I can see a bit of trimming, but
not enough to get rid of the bevel.

If you do have such a bevel, try some dense cardboard shims. A drywall
company has them in 4 foot lengths About 1.5" wide (check HD).
Intended for shimming drywall, but will work behind a baseboard.

I'll look for those, and if they don't do the job well, I'll
just run a layer of spackle along the bottom. Thanks for all
the replies.

--

http://www.journalof911studies.com/