Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Painting over anodize?

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
On Wed, 2 Sep 2009 13:41:48 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

I've painted several cars with PPG/Ditzler basecoat-clearcoat
urethane. No problems. I renewed the cartridges after each job.

OK. Have you taken an IQ test since you did that, to see if the numbers
still hold up? ggg

I somehow knew before I opened this post that you were gonna say that,
Ed. G No, I've not taken an IQ test since then and I'm not gonna!
If I've become dumb as a bowl of mice, I don't wanna know and don't
care. I'm happy, enjoy every day of my life, what the hell.

The numbers wouldn't hold up anyway because there's no good baseline.
I was tested a number of times when I was young but they never seemed
to be able to come up with a score. I make no claim of being
particularly bright but my approach to such tests seemed to confound
the testers. I got interested in the more challenging questions, spent
all my time on them. One tester, after looking at my test, said
"engineer, huh?" "Uh, yuh." "It shows." She may have been looking
at my tie, or perhaps my nerdpack pocket protector ...

The Army tested me, as I suppose they test everyone. When I asked them
about my score they wouldn't tell me. Perhaps they figured I didn't
have a need to know. No argument, I was just curious.

I've taken about four of them over my life, starting in 5th grade and ending
with an employment test around six or seven years ago. Mine were remarkably
consistent. I thought the last one would show evidence of decline, but it
actually was the highest.

Ah, well, we'll never match Gunner. I hear he tested at 157. Or maybe he
said 154. He probably turned down his invitations to the Glia Society and
Iquadrivium. They were beneath him. d8-)

The only prospective employer that tested me during an interview visit
for first job after Army made the higest salary offer by a good 20%.
I didn't take it. I liked the people at Honeywell in Minneapolis
better. Never regretted that decision.

Just so people are aware that ordinary paint respirators are NOT up to the
job. From there, they should research it thoroughly.

Roger that! But adequate respirators with filter cartridges
NIOSH-rated for the application aren't expensive, maybe 30 bux as a
guess. I think I paid $18 for mine quite a while ago.

I'll be sure to look into it if I ever spray two-part polyurethane. I was
discouraged by the air systems they recommend. More junk in the shop, and a
lot of money.

I am very allergic to some of that stuff. I dare not even open a can
of two-part epoxy primer without respirator in place. If I do, I'll
be wheezing for a while. But with respirator I can mix it and shoot
it with no problems. I don't paint cars anymore but I still do small
jobs now and then.

Regarding your reaction to epoxy, do you remember if it was always that way,
or if the problem built up over years of exposure? You can get an
accumulative reaction to epoxy to the point where you can't touch CURED
epoxy without developing a rash.

At one time I used quite a lot of it, and it always worried me. I was always
careful with the stuff when laminating with it, using respirators and
gloves, etc.

--
Ed Huntress