Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default NRA car air fresheners

On Thu, 3 Sep 2009 00:25:02 -0400, "Buerste"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 2 Sep 2009 06:51:09 -0400, "Buerste" wrote:

finger from a broken band saw 20 years ago.

You qualified with a freaking .22? Is that what you are going to be
carrying on the street?

Sigh...Im going to have to bitch slap you.

SLAPPPPP!!!!!

You should know better than that. You run what you carry!!!

If you want to shoot a target gun, go to a target match.

If you are going to shoot a bad guy, you had best be shooting with great
regularity the gun you shoot the sumbitch with.

If you shoot him with that 22..the chances are good he is going to take
all 10 hits, pull it away from you, beat your brains loose, stuff it up
your ass, then walk off and die 3 blocks away.

Damn dude!!

Isnt that thumbrest a bitch shooting lefthanded...chuckle

Gunner

.22s are cheap...so am I. I don't have a carry piece, every pistol I have
is huge. I guess I need a new one. I've been waiting for Roger to die so
can have his Detonics

Huge? Define "huge"

THis is the one I usually have tucked away on my person....

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=138867776

It WILL need some TLC out of the box. 99.9% of them were flakey as
shipped, but cleaned and tuned up very very nicely. Maybe 45 minutes
work when not familiar with it. Double action only, and very adequate
out to 20 yrds or more. They are smaller than a PPK..so tuck away
nicely. No sharp edges either.

They do kick. Sharp and savagely Im told. Shrug..Ive shot mine for years
and dont even notice. 5 in the mag, one in the chamber. I can at 7 yrds
(2 weeks ago) put all 6 in the skull of a 1/2 sized b-70 in 1.9 seconds.
So they are very controllable.

Another good choice would be a good used Colt Detective Special, with a
load of P+ 125gr JHPs. (Gold Dots)

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=138927936

A very fine weapon and one Ive carried for years.

Both are small enough with enough payload to convice the bad guy that he
****ed up.

Ask yourself if you want a wheel gun or a self loader..then drop me an
email and Id be happy to work you up a list and sources.

Gunner

The smallest pistol I have is my XD-9 Tactical. For carry, I'd want
something like a S&W Airweight hammerless .38, something that I won't need a
gun bearer, or I wont habitually have it with me.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=138722602
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=138841978

I encourage you to rent or borrow an airweight to try before you buy.
You might have no problem at all with it but some find them quite
uncomfortable to shoot. Not that discomfort matters in an SD sit, but
proficiency requires periodic practice and practice won't happen with
a piece that hurts to shoot. Tolerance of recoil and ability to manage
it seems to vary a lot from person to person, and this isn't tightly
coupled to either gender or physical size. It is what it is. Gunner
can manage a pocket .45 with no discomfort and acceptable claimed
accuracy. Perhaps you could too. My point is merely that you must
discover what works for you.

My casual pocket carry is the microscopic Ruger LCP, very similar to
the KelTec 3AT. Both are .380ACP. Gunner scoffs .380ACP as a wimpy
round which it certainly is compared to some others, but shot
placement counts considerably more than caliber and SD is a
close-range matter by definition of civilian rules of engagement. Your
safety depends upon what works for you nevermind what works for
Gunner, me or anyone else.

My "serious" carry, for when I ever might want a serious carry as in
expecting trouble, is a Para Ordnance Carry 9 I found used in tits
condx. It's heavier than an airweight wheelgun but it's a
singlestacker so it's thin and easy to pack. It's enjoyable to shoot
and amazingly accurate. I enjoyed shooting it today. Not cheap, but
that shouldn't be an issue for you.

Pay no attention to those who preach caliber as in bigger is better, a
real man carries a real gun and such swaggerwide macho foolishness.
Shot placement counts considerably more than caliber. The best
caliber for you is the largest caliber you can shoot well and will
have at hand when you need it.

I'm comfortable and competent with .357Mag, .45ACP and .40S&W in
suitably-sized pieces but my carry choices are the very pocketable
Ruger LCP in .380 and the ParaOrdnance Carry9 in 9mmp. YMMV.