Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Was- Arboga mill converted to VFD - now Q about pot & switches for VFD

On 2009-09-02, DoN. Nichols wrote:
O.K. Mouser Electronics has them -- but not cheap. Look at:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Honeywell/2TL1-1A/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtygI3JAGOxU%2f5ZR3DSiS2Q

assuming that still reaches it. If not. look for Mouser part number
785-2TL1-1A (A Honeywell switch -- about $40.00 in unit quantities.

The one shown has to have the handle pulled to switch from any
position to any position. There are some which will switch to one side
only without pulling, and the other side requires pulling. Others can
be switched from either "ON" position to the center "OFF" position, but
must be pulled to switch to either "ON".

You deal with enough surplus stuff so once you know what they
look like, you can keep your eyes open for them. They are normally used
for things like activating munitions in an aircraft, where you don't
want someone to accidentally switch something explosive on. :-)

[ ... ]

Don, I thought that you initially discussed a pot/switch combination?

No -- that was someone else. The combination would limit the
ability to get really slow running for positioning a chuck or something
similar. (You don't want to run the motor for any significant time at
that low a speed unless you have made provisions for an external fan to
force air through the motor.)

Also -- the switch in the pot knob is a bit harder to shut off
in a hurry. The red mushroom panic switch is best, next is the usual
drum switch wired to control the VFD.

I actually have a switch which I intend to use when I put three
phase on my Clausing. It is a lever in a pleated rubber boot which
rotates a shaft with cams operating three switches -- one at the zero
center position, and one switch for each direction of travel. But the
cam also has a 1/4" hex socket which can accept the shaft of a
potentiometer and which rotates through the standard 270 degrees. So
what I want is a 10K pot with a center tap so I can wire it for half on
each side of the center off position, using the cam switches to select
the direction, and the half of the pot operated by the lever to select
the speed. (The assembly came from a hamfest, and I have no idea where
to get more of them, but I knew what I wanted it for as soon as I saw
it. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564