Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Does electric box have to be right next to fixture?

On Wed, 2 Sep 2009 15:59:53 +0000 (UTC), Wayne Whitney

On 2009-09-02, mm wrote:

I can install this from inside the attic, without borrowing a ladder,
but it requires at least a ring of T1-11 between the box and the
fixture. At least a half inch smaller than that the box or fixture
base is big. Would that be okay?

No. 2008 NEC section 314.20 says "In walls and ceilings constructed
of wood or other combustible surface material, boxes, plaster rings,
extension rings, or listed extenders shall be flush with the finished
surface or project therefrom."

Cheers, Wayne

Okay. Thank you. I'll do it right, even if it requires borrowing a
ladder for the second half. I drive a LeBaron convertible, that
only takes a class 1 hitch, or whatever is the least strong. I got it
mostly to hold a bicycle rack, and I bought a one that has a square
upright-holder that screws on to the draw bar. Then with angle iron I
made a fork shaped upright with only 2 tines about 18 inches apart,
and I used a big piece of foam rubber on top of the windshield, and I
can borrow the ladder now without making my friend deliver it. At
least when the weather is good enough to put the top down. I start
off trying to make a canoe rack, and ended up with a much less
impressive ladder and pipe rack. I had no place to keep a canoe,

I bought the hitch for the first Lebaron, but I've used it on all 3
for a total of 20 years so far. I could use it on other cars too if
the struts holding the rear bumper are the same distance apart, or if
I can somehow drill another hole in the horizontal hitch bar, which is
3/8" or 1/2" thick and looks very hard.