Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark Mark is offline

Default Tiling over slight uneveness

Tim S wrote:

Mark coughed up some electrons that declared:

Yep no matter what im tilling the surface is made perfect before I start,
not during.

I can understand running some plaster over a wavy wall. But do you really
slap down levelling compound on your floors before you tile?

Curious...

if a floor is not level before i start i put down a sand/cement screed, i
don't use levelling compound, as inevitably it isn't.
if it only has miner imperfections i go over the floor with a long straight
edge and fill in any dips over 2mm with adhesive.
then all you have to do is spread the adhesive _evenly_ drop the tiles in
place and worry about getting the spacing accurate.
that way you don't come back next day when the tiles are stuck solid and find
one or more edges proud of it's neighbour.
also when Mrs walks across the floor with heels on you don't get that dreaded
click click,*clonk, as she steps on a tile that is part hollow
underneath*because you had to use extra dabs of glue to get the tile*level.
it's also SO much quicker in the long run.*****
Preparation*is the key to many jobs i.e. painting,
tiling is another good example IMO.**

\0