Posted to uk.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal
Janitor of Lunacy Janitor of Lunacy is offline

Default The Nostalgic Properties of Resublimated Thiotimoline

Fleetie wrote:
Andy Champ wrote:
Fleetie wrote:

Indeed. I read it in an anthology of his short stories in my early
teens (growing up in Rochester, Medway Handyman!).

In the last year or so, I looked it up in Wikipedia, and IIRC, it
said that actually, Asimov ended up doing a series of Thiotimoline
stories, not just the original, most famous one.

Also, related, remember the "Time Pussies"? ISTR one end of them was
now, and the other some time next week. They tried to freeze them
as quickly as possible after they died (they kept doing that for
some reason I forget; I read these stories over 25 years ago), and
it ended up saying something like they froze the last remaining one
so rapidly, that it was still warm!

reaches for bookshelf... decides a little quote is "fair use" ... and
you've already given away the punchline...

"That's just it, leetle feller", he said heavily. "We did it /too/
doggoned fast. The time pussy didn't keep because we froze the hot
water so darned fast that /the ice was still warm/!"

Published under the name "George E Dale", and written the morning
before Pearl Harbor. So it says in the notes in "The Early Asimov"
I have on my lap.

Andy

-+

Nice one, Andy.

Jeez, not read those words for must be just over 25 years!

I am sure that is the anthology my Dad had, that I read. It had some
text before each story. ISTR a major figure in the early years, who
was mentioned a lot in those introductory pieces, was someone called
L. Sprague De Camp? His agent or something? Or an editor?

Martin

An author and associate of Asimov:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L._Sprague_de_Camp