Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_5_] mac davis[_5_] is offline

Default Dressing grinding wheels

On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 11:30:14 -0700 (PDT), Paul wrote:

I have an 8" slow speed (1725 rpm) grinder from Woodcraft and the T
handle diamond dressing tool. The *1#&% wheels are out of round by
1/16" and no matter what I do I can not dress them round. The wheels
also do not run true. I suppose it is like the bounce on a bowl.
Once started, one must make an entirely fresh cut to get the bounce
out. But how does one start a new cut? Would a single point diamond
work, and if so where does one buy one of those?

Paul Gilbert

Ok.. going to assume from your description that you're more experienced in this
than I am, but the obvious questions first:

Are they properly installed?
Have you tried changing switching them just for giggles to see if they like the
other side better?

I use a single point dresser in my bowl gouge jig.. Seems to work best for me...

I have also had bad bushings/adapters, usually the plastic ones that adapt for
shaft size, so now I pop them out of new wheels and use the old ones that were
already running true...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing