Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Small Florida Town "gets it" (guns)

"RBnDFW" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
"RBnDFW" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
"David R.Birch" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:

Not well, Squeaky couldn't even chamber a round.

David
That was good luck, wasn't it? Somebody forgot to leave one in the
chamber for her. Otherwise...
Otherwise she would have shot herself in the foot.
So, who's the next Squeaky? One of those gun-toters we've been
talking about? How can you be sure? How close do you want them to
get, before the SS takes them out?
Dunno, most of the gun owners I know, left and right, are responsible
citizens.
It only takes one. And those people who try to kill presidents carry
guns where the presidents are. So having people carry guns around a
president is a little loony, wouldn't you agree? One hundred
responsible citizens who like to show off their guns, and maybe one
John Hinckley, all in the same crowd. Hmmm....

Here's what I wonder: How many of those "protesters" milling around the
guy actually were Secret Service agents ready to take him out if he
made the wrong move? How many .300 Win. Mag sniper rifles were trained
on him by SS sharpshooters?

I'm really curious. There was one unattributed comment by some SS or
administration official to the effect that they "had a perimeter in
mind," but the gun-toters in all cases were nowhere near it.

Which still leaves the question, just what is it they were trying to
"say" with their loaded guns, in a crowd with police all around? What
was the message? Can you give us some insight about that?
The message was the same as the other messages - the signs, and the
chants, and the mass gathering:

Free exercise of basic rights to free speech, assembly, and bearing of
arms. Freedoms not exercised are eventually lost

I would say the individual who did this achieved his goal, by starting a
national discussion on the limits of this right.

Unless he just shifted the political center a notch or two towards the
gun-control side, which I strongly suspect is the case. I'm watching for
polls.

I think a lot of people learned to their surprise that his behavior was
perfectly legal, and the Secret Service wasn't concerned about him

I'm sure that a lot of people were surprised. But the SS was watching them
like hawks, from the subtle implications of the few quotations that are
available.

--
Ed Huntress