Chris Vowles

Default More damp testing woes

On 16 Oct 2003 02:28:20 -0700, (Kooky45) wrote:

Before buying my 1920's semi three years ago the Homebuyers Report

Yep bought/sold couple of 1900 houses, these Homebuyers reports come
up with appalling guess work and unsubstantiated nonsense specially
when concerned with damp and rot, and all the clauses and assumptions
make them totally useless. One report said that all beams under the
floor must have probably totally rotted as there were insignificant
number of air bricks for todays standards (lifted floor boards and all
dry as a bone as was brickwork and soil), another said there was no
dpc, took off the render and there was a perfectly good one in place,
and one report said 100 year old lath and plaster ceilings were by
their nature due to fail at any moment, the list goes on and on. The
one thing I have noticed is that they are totally obsessed with
skirting boards for some reason, considering the cost of a new
skirting board compared to the cost of a house who cares if they are
"barely fit for purpose".