Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default random orbit sanders and 1/2 sheet orbital sanders

John Rumm wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
Stephen wrote:
On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 18:24:52 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

PEX400 probably...
Is that a good model to get or are there better ones?
Its a reasonably decent budget one. I have one, and find it ok if
not doing too much in one go.

The thing to remember with paint stripping, is it is never going
to be that fast however you sand it. It tends to clog paper
quickly. A random orbit at a slowish speed with a coarse (40 or
60 grit) paper will probably work best.
Perhaps I was just impatient? I've got some skirting board to
sand; I filled over the nails and knots with wood filler but I put
too much on! What's the best device for sanding that?
The RO will do that nicely. The thing to remember is that you don't
always get the fastest removal rate with the maximum speed -
sometimes a slower rate, coarse paper and gentle pressure will take
off material quickly.

Half sheet will probably give you the flattest overall result due
to the larger pad size. Other than that you are probably better
off with a random orbit.
I notice there are quarter sheet sanders now. When would you use
those? Surely for small work you would be better with a delta
sander to get into the corners?
Probably nice for furniture making. Quite often you might be sanding
smaller stuff before assembly. The light easy to handle sander can
be an advantage - especially if it can be held with one had
comfortably (i.e. hand resting on, rather than needing to grip and
support the body as you would a delta)

With the exception of the Fein multimaster, most delta sanders have
fairly poor sanding performance IME. Hence they are only worth using
for the corners, and one would want to switch to something more
effective when space permits.

Never used a Fein, but my Bosch PMF180 copy is without doubt the
best delta sander I have tried - streets ahead. The rubber backing
pads do wear badly mind you - does that happen with the Fein?

What the velcro covered things? They last quite well if you take care
to not overheat a corner - at which point it can start losing hooks,
and then the paper does not stay put as well.

Ah. Exactly what happens with the Bosch.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk