Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S Tim S is offline

Default Tiling over slight uneveness

Stuart Noble coughed up some electrons that declared:

Mark wrote:
"Tim S" wrote in message
Hi,

If tiling over the odd patch of uneveness (2-3mm ish)?

Does one attempt to put more adhesive on, or just push the tile down
less?

This is for 300mm floor tiles mostly.

Its far easier to sort out any small depressions that would not be
accommodated by the notched spreader _Before_ you start tilling rather
then bodging in extra lumps of adhesive hoping to get an even finish.

-

Packing out the odd tile by 3mm isn't a bodge, and is inevitable unless
the floor is perfect

That's my thinking. Even my best floors have unevenesses at the 2-4mm level.

You notice that level of detail when you lay wood flooring! Thank heavens
for 1mm card!

Unless you pour 10+mm of Stopgap 300 in one hit or have just employed genius
floor screeder blokes, I suspect perfection is rare.

Where there might be a gentle dip at a few mm over a 4' or 6' level, I'm
more than happy to follow that with the tiles. No one is ever going to
notice. The rest of the house is bent anyway - it'll fit in perfectly!

It's localised wibbles that I'm preparing to deal with in my mind. The sort
of thing where not making allowances ends up with a cocked tile, which
would look bad. Also, while the bath has 4 adjustable feet, the bog does
not, so it's very important to get that bit dead flat.

I approach this job with some trepidation - which is why I'm trying to
fathom out everything that could go wrong before I start This is my
bathroom - at 3m2 with barely 1m2 visible in a single area (bath and bog
take out the rest) it's my "practise" floor.

After that, the next one will be the kicthen and that will be 20m2 with 15m2
on show!!!

Thanks for all the suggestions and tips.

Cheers

Tim