Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default "Wonder putty" for window repair: epoxy?

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 9/1/2009 4:21 AM George spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 8/31/2009 6:23 PM George spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Don't mind that name--that's just what I'm calling the stuff. The
stuff being what a guy would want to use to fix a rotted window frame.

I've seen this stuff, both on the tube and in the flesh: a putty
that dries hard and white, and is perfect for the repair I need to
do. I have a window sash with a rotted-out corner, maybe 3-4" of
wood gone completely. My plan is to clean out all the rot, embed
some metal in the corner and use this stuff to rebuild the frame.
Even thinking of making a small silicone mold for the window-stop
profile to replicate it.

Anyone know what this stuff is, and where to get it? I'm pretty
sure it's some kind of epoxy with fillers added. Probably not
cheap, either.

This company makes good stuff:

http://www.pcepoxy.com/woodproducts/woodpcwoody.php

Not the stuff I was thinking of.

I've used PC-Woody; in fact, I have a couple of cans of it now. It
seems pretty strong, but this other stuff I've seen seems even better.

Have you (or anyone else here) used PC-Woody to repair large missing
pieces in wood?

PC-Woody is as strong/stronger than wood and you can work it just like
wood. How would something else be "better"?

Dunno. Just checked that batch of PC-Woody I mixed last night. It seems
plenty hard and stable enough. I think I'm going to pick up a couple
cans of it and go for it. It's a lot cheaper than that other "system"
suggested here.

I think you might have been overthinking it. The final result is just
like wood except no grain. Be aware there is still prep that may include
other products just like any other systems.

That company is a very innovative small company which makes quality
stuff. A buddy is a chemist and he used to work for them. They don't
spend a lot of money on marketing (probably don't have it). Their
trademark marketing is the soda bottle with various objects glued to it
( http://www.pcepoxy.com/ for current version )with their flagship PC-7
epoxy that was on the counter of every hardware store in my region.