Posted to alt.home.repair
benick[_2_] benick[_2_] is offline

Default Cheap way to put up a wall to divide a three car garage

"SteveB" wrote in message

"SMS" wrote in message
My sister-in-law has a tri-plex that has a three car garage with three
single garage doors. However there are no dividing walls to separate the
garage into separate garages. I need to put up a wall so one of the
garages is only accessible to the renter.

It's about 24' long x 12' wide.

I don't need anything fancy or to cover it with sheet rock.

I've thought of many different ways to do it, but all seem like they're
too complex and expensive.

Do it right or don't mess with it. That doesn't mean that it's expensive.
You will need about 12 studs, which are cheap. About eight sheets of
rock. Some nails, a box of mud. By my calculator, I'd say less than $75
to have it right. And that's with you doing the work. It ain't rocket
surgery to put the top and bottom plate on square and plumb, and if you
can read a tape, you can figure out 2' centers on the rock. You CAN rock
only one side, but my experience is that if you do, it is easier to bust
and poke holes in. Mud it in, and even if you really do a lousy job, just
sand down the excess. Some miscolored paint from HD for cheap, and you
got a new wall. I'd case an interior door in it, too.

But that's just me.

Do it right.

Steve

Being a commercial building you should REALLY check with your Code
Enforcement officer..I seriously doubt you can just throw up anything...I
bet it will have to be steele studs and 5/8s fire coded sheetrock TAPED both
sides....May have to bring whole area up to code as well , meaning another
wall to seperate the other spaces as well as other things....Call the CEO
BEFORE you do anything.....