Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S Tim S is offline

Default DIY DG demist

Andrew Gabriel coughed up some electrons that declared:

In article ,
Adrian C writes:
Davey wrote:
Surely it'd be better just to spend a few quid and get a new pane of
glass and have a proper functioning DG unit again? If you want to save a
few quid, remove the old one and fit the new one yourself. I would think
these repairs leave the pane of glass with a similar insulating factor
as a single glazed window.

We've just misted glass planes replaced in a couple of our 15 yr
windows. The ease at which the original glass was lifted out - from the
outside - and disparaging comments on security by the installer after
the job was finished, made me wish that there and then we stumped up for
the replacement of the whole aluminium frame and not just the glass!

Not sure about aluminium, but with PVC, window tape is used nowadays
instead of the internal strips. Whilst you can still lever out the
external beading, you can't lift the glass out afterwards.

There was a period of having the beading internal, but that makes the
frames much more bulbus and less glass to let light through,
particularly on openers. Some people still ask for this, but it's
really a hangover from the past.

My beading came internal as standard - I'd though it was normal...