Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default New Garage Foundation

Oren wrote:
On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 15:37:43 -0700, "Pat" wrote:

Can anyone tell me why the footing has to be poured across the garage door?
This mean I need to pump the concrete instead of driving the truck inside.
I am thinking of failing my inspection so I can drive the truck inside and
save the $500 pumping cost.

If you fail inspection, how long do you have to correct the problem?

????
Just how long and wide is your garage? Are you talking just the footers,
or the stem walls as well? Unless your lot has some real weirdness to
it, I've never seen a location where they couldn't get 'close enough'
with the chutes, to hit all the forms to where 2 strong guys with
shovels couldn't coax the concrete along. Or have they ditched the
extended chutes in favor of the fancy pumper truck, the better to make
money with?

Yes, you need the footing across the garage door. It catches the weight
and the impact load from the cars driving up onto the slab, and it helps
prevent frost heave from when water gets under the slab (at the crack
where it meets the apron or driveway) and freezes. You can tell cheap
tract houses where they didn't have footings under the door, by the big
gaps at the bottom of the garage doors. If your town requires a
continuous footing, good on them.

As to how to solve your problem- how much more would the redi-mix
company charge to do the pour in 2 deliveries a day apart? One pour is
best, but you can lace them together with rebar stuck in the first pour,
unless the inspector freaks out.

Or there is always the old standby of ten strong guys and a wheelbarrow
conga line, if the truck will hang around that long.

--
aem sends...