Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default Dremmel tool advice?

cshenk wrote:
Hi Folks! An update.

Don found a sweet little 4.8v hand held unit, cordless rechargable.
Dremmel Model 754. Came with an extensive attachment kit (looks like
about 50 pieces in there). Dunno exactly what he paid but he said it
wasnt bad.

This isnt a heavy duty tool, but we needed one like this for tons of
small lightweight jobs on relatively delicate woods where the bigger
units would chew things up. Like, my 100 year old shadowbox kitchen
from germany (has a kitchen inside, parts built at angle so the depth is
neat to see). I can use this to carve a new chair since one of them
subsided pretty much beyond repair. Once I get the chair right, I can
put it in place.

We will still be looking at the Ryobi's as well as we also have a need
for a fairly heavy duty tool to strip rust off a fair amount of metal
tools and fishing equipment. They got damaged while in storage for 7
years.

Ok, lets face it. I wanted an excuse to get some new toys ;-) I know
how to insure it too! I'm getting Don a 100$ gift certificate at the
local Lowes for his birthday in October! Yeah! I bet I get lots of new
toys too since he's the sort who's happy to share with his wife |:-

Yeah, I'm a girl who drools over the tool section. Shoot me.

We have his-and-hers tools ... his toolbox is like my purse, and if any
of my tools go into his toolbox, they disappear ) Live in condo, no
garage, so front closet and some creative storage schemes contain some
of his tools - wicker trunk in living room for huge wrenches and
pry-bars )

My mom used to build miniature rooms, 1/12 scale. She made some
fantastic things from scratch, perfectly to scale - my favorites are a
working floor loom and wicker porch furniture made with wire and linen
macrame string. A 100 y/o room would be interesting to see - mom had
lots of mini tools, including lathe. Inherited her Dremel and still use
it - drilled a hole in a teacup so I could use it as a little planter.
Re-grouted shower tile, cut out rust to do body work on the old Buick,
etc. If you have a full shop of standard-sized tools, you can always
start on mini's )