Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default Does electric box have to be right next to fixture?

"mm" wrote in message
news
Does electric box have to be right next to fixture?

The first electrician (provided by the HOA) who installed a floodlight
on my wall didn't use any electric box, afaicr. He just screwed the
fixture to the T1-11 and ran the wire through a hole in the T1, behind
the fixture.

Even though T1-11 is not very flammable???, or is it?, I presume that
is a violation of code?????

Ten years later when the fixture burned out, I suspect it was a
different electrician (although maybe from the same company) replaced
it and installed a box on the the ouside wall and then the fixture on
the box.

I need to both replace and move the fixture, and it may be much easier
to do it myself than have the HOA electician do it.

(I could put the box on the outside like it is now, but) it would be a
lot easier if I could put it on the inside, either with a hole just
big enough for the Romex, or a hole almost as big as the box, between
the fixture and the box. Are either or both of these Okay?

Thanks a lot.

Some fixtures have integral splice boxes and can be mounted directly to
the building surface. Some fixtures require an electrical box to mount to.
If your cable will reach the location where you want to mount the fixture,
you can cut a box into the siding and mount it flush