Posted to uk.d-i-y
AA[_2_] AA[_2_] is offline

Default Ah well, all good things come to an end...

On 1 Sep, 16:41, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
In article ,
* * * * AA writes:

On 1 Sep, 10:10, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
In article ,
* * * * John Stumbles writes:

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 18:43:50 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

..and that's me got my last batch of incandescents in.
Should be enough for years.

Are they banning halogen GLSes too?

I suspect GLS halogens are banned with GLS lamps.

GLS halogen?
There is the recently introduced GLS shaped Osram halogens and things
like Philips Halogena and GE BTT or whatever, never heard of them
referred to as GLS though.

I don't know, but I observe that they've introduced them at
power ratings just under where each level of GLS ban takes place.
I'm guessing this is so they can take each off the market when
required, and the 100W ones seem to have gone. Highest I can now see
is 70W, which corresponds to about the 950lm limit in the EU regs
from 1 Sep 2009 (equivalent to a 75W GLS, although we don't use
these much in the UK).

Haologena and others are in distinctly no GLS lamp shapes which does
make me wonder below

The EU rules don't refer to GLS lamps at all. They refer to
"non-directional household lamps", but then go on to exclude
some lamp bases from scope until later. As far as I can see in
the regs, these halogen shaped GLS are not handled any differently
from clear GLS, but I'd need to sit down and read them very
carefully to be sure.

Wondering if some fudging going on with B.C./ E27 based halogens as
special purpose rather than general service lamps.

Of course new builds will have their 87p incl VAT Part L compliant
pendant hanging forlornly in middle of room.

Wonder if Medway Handyman has changed any of these over to more
convenient fitiings for customers

One interesting thing I did notice is that lamps designed for
= 60V are exempt until Stage 6: 1 Sep 2016, and I've certainly
seen 12V and 25V GLS lamps in some strange places. A quick
search reveals 50V 100W GLS are available.

These not for things like marine and aircraft use though?

Though its uncertain whats going to happen next in wacky world of EU
idiocrats haven`t seen any thing specifically heading for line voltage
halogen, though an immediate ban on GU10 wouldn`t make many weep.

G9 and R7 (halogen) caps have to be energy efficient from Stage 6:
1 Sep 2016,

Struck me after my ill tempered reply , apology below.

which is the end of the current commonly bought linear
halogens (although conforming replacements exist for 300W and 500W
as below).

As you mention still unobtanium in the U.K market and really dont
fancy the CFL retrofits though might give one a spin for
investigation.

I've never used or investigated G9's much - always seemed
to me to be yet another way to produce cheap crap luminaires to
sucker in the punters (in the same way as GU10's).

G9`s are GU10s evil nephew , again trying to push out nice, reasonably
efficient, LV halogen with something that dosen`t need a trafo but
dosent so much light the space as lightly pee over it, are a bit on
the yellow side.

GU10 has not yet been announced yet as regs for reflector lamps
are still being thrashed out, but it seems unlikely to me that
those which are amongst the least efficient lighting schemes (although
not entirely down to the lamps themselves) will survive longer.

What this all ,may to be with the lighting industry selling people
this years wonder light product to replace last years steam powered
stuff.
Think some lighting makers think their like the record industry when
CDs came in , sell them all the same stuff over again, or in this case
couple of generations of retrofits.

Non-GLS halogens can remain, as long as they're Energy class C
(or higher). The only ones I know of today which meet this are
GE's 225W and 375W K9's which replace 300W and 500W K9's

pedant linear halogens are Kseries lamps but the number changes with
the wattage and length, think 500W is actually K1 /pedant

OK, I grabbed the K9 off a GE 225W package, which is what I had
to hand.

and have
an internal infra-red coating to reflect the heat back onto the
filament. (I use a 225W to light my back garden, although it's
rather rarely used in practice.

Still lacking any reference to K series linear halogens facing a timed
axe?

They aren't axed per se. All halogens eventually have to meet
Energy class C, (K series are referred to as R7 caps in the EU regs)
and the only ones available in the UK which I know of which currently
do are the two I mentioned above (plus some of the GLS shaped ones).
Others may appear in due course.

GE produce a whole range of these IR reflecting halogens in the
US. Some time back, I asked them why they didn't in the UK, and
they said there was no market for them here -- people who care
about energy efficiency generally don't buy halogens at all.

That really is total nonsense Andrew, what are you suggesting people

Not my suggestion - read what I wrote.

Really shouldn`t complete good natured posts interspersed with not
good natured phone calls.

who care about energy efficiency and Light Quality have been buying?
Believe asked you before to be ignored, would hope you will actually
qualify your comments this time.

EH?

Sorry Andrew,my bad.
its the rabid all filament lamps are bad type thing that mistakenly
associated you with there, doh!

I suspect GE know their market better than you do.
Although I might like to buy an IR reflecting K7, that doesn't
mean there's enough market to make it worth their while.

Domestic customers choke at paying more than 2 quid for any lamp,
apart from with PIR use, most commercial users have moved to MH or
Sodium so not a big market for them there.
Have to use a lot of LEDs to replace a 400W MH, so not always a cost
effective solution yet in another 6 or 7 years the market should look
quite a lot different though.

Cheers
Adam

--