Bay Area Dave

Default Hand plane - can you REALLY joint a perfectly straight edge?

Hey, I started at "ground zero" last year in this WW thing, so I MUST be
learning something, despite your pessimistic prognostication.

I characterized your style as "flowery"; not you. g

I do pay attention when the message is about woodworking. I've little
to no patience with extricating a tidbit of info from a sea of
irrelevant muck. (this is in general -- I'm not saying what you wrote
here is muck, at all.)

dave

Patrick Olguin wrote:

Bay Area Dave wrote in message .com...

So do YOU consider yourself on a par with Cramer or not? You are gonna
be judged by the company you keep.

I read your link, but since so many folks have brought their knowledge
of planing to the table, I failed to learn anything new from your
flowery post of yesteryear. That's NOT to be taken as a slight of your
prodigious knowledge; merely an acknowledgment that the bearers of
knowledge did indeed wrap their offerings more courteously, which allows
me to concentrate on the message and not the writer. I don't like to
slog through paragraphs of slime to reach the pearls of wisdom.

Hmmmmmmmmm. So tough love is not your bag. Sucks for you, because in
your "failing to learn," anything new, you obviously skipped a
fundamental of planing, which was mentioned in that six-year old post,
and still holds true today. To wit - that one should maintain
downward pressure on the knob (toe) of the plane at the beginning of
the stroke, and then make sure to switch that pressure to the tote
(heel) near the end. This will prevent crowning of the edge.

It's a pity the mental equivalent of walking and chewing gum prevents
you from absorbing new knowledge, but I'm sure it won't ruin your day.
Enjoy your new plane when it arrives. Try not to use it on melamine.

O'Deen

Flowery? *blush* You can call me a flower, if you want to. I don't
mind.