Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Verizon to drop news group service

In article ,
Tim Schwartz wrote:
This morning's e-mail included the letter below from Verizon FIOS, my
ISP provider. (But at least they are not lowering the price for reducing
my service. G)

One more blow to what's left of usenet. Anyone suggest any alternate
service? I don't really need "more exciting ways of getting and sharing
information via the Web".

Contact your ISP and tell them that. Mine started restricting newsgroup
access at certain times of the day to throttle back demand. If this was
effective, it can't be as little used as some say.

I wrote to the MD and said I'd change ISP is this continued - if large
data use was a problem with it they could stop taking the binary ones.
Ordinary text newsgroups are extremely economical of bandwidth.

Got a very nice reply saying it was under continual revision - to provide
the best value service for their customers in a very competitive world.
Since then access has been normal.

Snag was when they blocked the port for their news server, it also
blocked my access to any of the others I tried.

--
*I want it all and I want it delivered

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.