Bay Area Dave

Default Hand plane - can you REALLY joint a perfectly straight edge?

I'm sure the 'real' woodworkers that frequent the wreck could no doubt
create an invisible glue line using a dull adz.

dave

Rodney Myrvaagnes wrote:

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 20:24:04 -0500, Trent©
wrote:

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 22:58:07 -0500, brocpuffs
wrote:

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 02:10:39 GMT, Bay Area Dave wrote:

that's PRECISELY why I can't see how a plane can make anything truly
FLAT. A jointer wouldn't if it was set up like a plane. So what are we
missing? Or is the emperor buck naked again? g

dave

You cats have never used a jointer plane properly, obviously.

Sure, any plane will hit the high spots first. It will continue to
take down the high spots till they are at the same level as the lowest
low spot, after which you have a clean, straight edge.

Done it lots of times, not dreaming!

If they didn't do this well, as someone said, the great joinery in
pre-electricity days wouldn;t have been possible.

They didn't have rasps and sandpaper back then?

You can edge join planks using rasps and sandpaper, and come out with
an invisible glue line? My hat is off to you.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Curse thee, thou quadrant. No longer will I guide my earthly way by thee." Capt. Ahab