Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Moss on slate roof

On Sep 1, 7:20*am, Van Chocstraw
wrote:
Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

On the north side of my house I have moss on the slate roof. I'm
concerned that it's pushing the slates apart. My roof is 90 years old.

How do I combat this problem?

Thanks,

Aaron

Get moss killer from HomeDepot. It concists of ground zinc, copper and
other acidic metals. Sprinkle it all over the moss. Moss don't like
acidic environment. You may have leaf/mulch build up on your roof making
soil for moss to grow. Clean the roof.

I used to be able to buy Copper Sulfate for the garden, I cant now
because its poisonous. Sprinkling copper, Zinc, and" metals" might
require serious caution, I would not want wind blowing in my
direction, and on a roof you can get crazy winds since they deflect of
the house. Maybe in a liqued solution, but I used Copper Sulfate to
Kill Trees, a dust mask is not good enough protection with CS.