Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Was- Arboga mill converted to VFD - now Q about pot & switches for VFD

On 2009-09-01, GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane wrote:

In addition to the old gearbox speed changer, speed can also be varied
with a pot (0-60 Hz).

I have a TECO FM-50 for a 2HP Bridgeport. A pot and on-off switches
in a separate box would be a lot more convenient. What are typical
specs for a potentiometer for one of these? Something I could pick up
at Radio Shack or do I need to order on line? Under what section of
the manual would you go looking for specs if it's something that
varies by manufacturer and model? I only read enough of the manual to
get my mill up and running so I could play with it. Now that I've had
it for several months, it's time to make improvements.

Typical pot is a 5K or 10K linear pot with a 2W power rating.

As for the switch -- make it a SPDTCO (Single Pole Single Throws
Center Off) switch so you can use it to select forward stop or reverse.
(It might be good to have one of the locking toggles with the
pull-to-release handles, so you can't accidentally go from forward to
reverse when you really want to stop.

There should be wiring diagrams for how to connect such
switches, as well as ones for using three push buttons (forward,
reverse, and stop). For the latter, a red mushroom actuator for ths top
switch with a locking mode so you have to twist it or pull it to reset
the stop. That way, you just bring your hand up and slap it to stop in
an emergency.

Enjoy,
DoN.

Very well said!

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.