Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stephen[_6_] Stephen[_6_] is offline

Default random orbit sanders and 1/2 sheet orbital sanders

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 18:24:52 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

PEX400 probably...

Is that a good model to get or are there better ones?

The thing to remember with paint stripping, is it is never going to be
that fast however you sand it. It tends to clog paper quickly. A random
orbit at a slowish speed with a coarse (40 or 60 grit) paper will
probably work best.

Perhaps I was just impatient? I've got some skirting board to sand; I
filled over the nails and knots with wood filler but I put too much
on! What's the best device for sanding that?

Half sheet will probably give you the flattest overall result due to the
larger pad size. Other than that you are probably better off with a
random orbit.

I notice there are quarter sheet sanders now. When would you use
those? Surely for small work you would be better with a delta sander
to get into the corners?

Is the jump from 1/3 sheet to 1/2 sheet noticeable? Does it make any
difference to speed or quality of finish?

Thanks again.