Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ah well, all good things come to an end...

In article ,
John Stumbles writes:
On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 18:43:50 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

..and that's me got my last batch of incandescents in.
Should be enough for years.

Are they banning halogen GLSes too?

I suspect GLS halogens are banned with GLS lamps.

Non-GLS halogens can remain, as long as they're Energy class C
(or higher). The only ones I know of today which meet this are
GE's 225W and 375W K9's which replace 300W and 500W K9's and have
an internal infra-red coating to reflect the heat back onto the
filament. (I use a 225W to light my back garden, although it's
rather rarely used in practice.)

GE produce a whole range of these IR reflecting halogens in the
US. Some time back, I asked them why they didn't in the UK, and
they said there was no market for them here -- people who care
about energy efficiency generally don't buy halogens at all.
I guess there might be a change in this stance in the light of
the new regulations. This technology is only suitable for
certain shaped halogen capsules though (linear tubes probably
being the best).

--
Andrew Gabriel