Posted to alt.home.repair
fftt fftt is offline

Default "Wonder putty" for window repair: epoxy?

On Aug 31, 5:52*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
Don't mind that name--that's just what I'm calling the stuff. The stuff
being what a guy would want to use to fix a rotted window frame.

I've seen this stuff, both on the tube and in the flesh: a putty that
dries hard and white, and is perfect for the repair I need to do. I have
a window sash with a rotted-out corner, maybe 3-4" of wood gone
completely. My plan is to clean out all the rot, embed some metal in the
corner and use this stuff to rebuild the frame. Even thinking of making
a small silicone mold for the window-stop profile to replicate it.

Anyone know what this stuff is, and where to get it? I'm pretty sure
it's some kind of epoxy with fillers added. Probably not cheap, either.

www.abatron.com

http://www.abatron.com/cms/buildinga...intenance.html

LiquidWood & WoodEpox

I've used it since the late 80's to do rotted / deteriorated sill &
sash repairs
I recently (Fall 2006) rebuilt a rotted sash corner about the same as
yours....I drilled & embedded some 10-24 SS threaded rod.

very good stuff, not cheap but well worth it. Can be dyed, painted,
drilled, etc

forget the silicone mold, just putty knife the stuff close & sand,
plane, saw, scrape or chisel it to shape.

email me privately if you want photos of my repairs or any other info

cheers
Bob