Posted to alt.home.repair
Gordon Shumway Gordon Shumway is offline

Default Synthetic oil and follow-up oil changes?

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 19:08:39 -0700 (PDT), windcrest
wrote:

On Aug 31, 5:39*pm, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 13:08:11 -0700 (PDT), RickH

wrote:
I went to the Jiffy Lube this weekend and thought I'd splurge and put
in some Castrol Syntec as they were having a sale on it, (vehicle 2007
Toyota RAV4). *When I asked for the Syntec the guy said that once you
go to a synthetic oil, you should stay on it and not go back to
regular oil. *Well since the the regular cost of a Syntec oil change
is double, I said forget it and just put in regular oil.

First, is it true what the guy said about it being "bad" to go back to
regular oil after using synthetic? *If so, why? *I had a car in early
the 90's that loved Mobile 1, ran great on it, I dont remember
dedicating that car to Mobile 1 though for all time, I'm sure I used
all different oils.

Thanks
Rick

What the hell does this have to do with home repair? *I'm sure you
could find a group that was appropriate for your question. *You may
even get a correct answer.

Gordon Shumway- Hide quoted text -

Ya know, a lot of folks ask about internal combustion engines here for
their 20 year old 5-bucks-at-a-garage-sale lawn mowers.

A car is the second or third largest expense for most folks, and that
answer could be applied to other engines too.

Sheesh

With that flawed logic you probably think it proper to discuss quantum
mechanics in this group too because those principles are at work in
our homes. Taking it one step further we might as well combine all
discussion groups into one because we are either at home or not when
everything happens.

Gordon Shumway