Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John R. Carroll[_3_] John R. Carroll[_3_] is offline

Default ONE SECOND AFTER

Ed Huntress wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote in message
news
Ed Huntress wrote:
"Mark Rand" wrote in message
On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 17:57:44 -0400, "Ed Huntress"

wrote:

I think the consequences for all of us would be a lot worse than
you're suggesting, if the world let that happen.

I didn't comment on the consequences.
Since you've brought it up, however, I think they would be trivial in the
negative sense.
I don't, for example, think that all of the rhetoric and bluster is very
much more than that.
What is happening to the Palestinians is being afforded the patina of
legitimacy because the world is unwilling to stick a finger in anyone's
chest and just tell them to figure it out, or else.

It's a game Ed.
I think I'll just stop here, but let me add one thing.
BAO DIEN TU
And this.

I just spent an hour or so with a kid that I consider a fine young man. He's
a Marine, but I set that side - queers that can't shoot straight, the lot
of them. He's about to deploy.

Here is what I told him.

Afghanastan looks just exactly like SE Asia to me and after listening to
McCrystal this morning, I'm as convinced as ever we'll **** this one up.

He was puzzled, and we both belong to the same fraternal brotherhood so he
knows my bonafides. I think he thought I was going to give him another of my
history lessons but I didn't.

What I said is that we've screwed the pooch in our efforts and need to pull
the plug ASAP knowing full well that we'll have to go back.

We can't get, today, from where we are to the important point that our enemy
will give up. That's all that matters.
We also can't walk away now and hold our water because the public won't
support it unless our poliical leadership explains it convincingly. That
isn't going to happen.

The ME is so far from that reality that it's funny and we need to do
something to get all of those **** heads to understand that with some degree
of humility. That is the element they all lack. The Thank You they can
provide is to sit down and settle their hash on their own. Time's Up.

--
John R. Carroll