Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default ONE SECOND AFTER

"John R. Carroll" wrote in message
news
Ed Huntress wrote:
"Mark Rand" wrote in message
On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 17:57:44 -0400, "Ed Huntress"

wrote:

They certainly have a reason, but it's not one that Western
countries would
accept.

This isn't a sporting competition, nor are we applying
Western-style rules of evidence. This is a case of realpolitik, in
which most countries understand the principles of non-proliferation
and the instability risk posed by a nuclear-armed Iran. It isn't
just Israel that's nervous. It's also much of the Arab Middle East,
who probably would feel compelled to develop their own nuclear
weapons in a balance of terror.

Then all bets are off. The issue is whether we'll allow that kind of
instability and threat of nuclear war to develop out of the
theoretical niceties of sovereignty, the way we did with Germany
between the wars. Most
of the world's powers apparently have decided we will not.

Israel has a right to be nervous. If they gave up on the
quasi-religious bigoted paranoia and tried to work _with_ their
neighbours and those whose land they occupy, there would not quite
so much desire amongst those neighbours to wipe them off the face of
the earth. Supporting their deluded
world view and continuing atrocious behaviour does nothing to
stabilize the
region.

We'll never agree about this, and my opinion of Israel is not what you
probably assume. But the idea of "working with their neighbors"
suggests to me an unrealistic view of their history -- and especially
an unrealistic view of their neighbors.

If the Israelis had the opportunity, they probably would wipe out
their neighbors. As for the neighbors, they've proven multiple times
that they would do the same.

And having failed to conclude your thought, I'll do it myself.
We ought to just let the mother****ers, but before we do we ought to let
everyone know it's just that way.
THEN, they might sort it out but if not, who cares. Warren Buffet can just
write off Iscar.

--
John R. Carroll

I think the consequences for all of us would be a lot worse than you're
suggesting, if the world let that happen.

--
Ed Huntress