Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical wiring: the "last inch"

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 11:50:05 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , dpb wrote:
David Nebenzahl wrote:
That's not true. Conductors are rated at a certain current regardless of
their length.

Not exactly so--look at the voltage drop tables; at a given voltage the
drop becomes excessive at a minimum conductor size and a larger
conductor is required.

Yes, exactly so. Voltage and current are not the same. A long conductor *does*
cause voltage to drop, but it does *not* affect current.

I just rethought my answer and I was wrong. It not only drops the
voltage but it DOES drop the current, because the total resistance of
the circuit is higher. With a fixed supply voltage the current WILL
drop. Combined with the voltage drop it is a double whammy on the
power.