Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Stockade fence, boards shrinking?

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 10:22:29 -0400, mm
wrote:

With using pressure treated on decks its common to butt boards tight,
after it dries you have nice gaps for drainage.

I should have said that these pickets aren't PT. Would regular ones
also shrink enough that one coudl see through the fence?

It has also had two pickets crack and and slivers fall off. One sliver
was small but one was 5 foot long and two inches wide at one end.
They also used nails left rust stains on each picket. I forgot about
the slivers and rust and I will tell my friend about them.

But now I remember, they are what made me suspicious about the
shrinkage.

And the other reason I was suspicious was that when I called them
looking for pickets for my fence, they were out of business already.

But you've convinced me that pickets shrink.

I'll admit, you can't stand 5 feet away and see in the fence, but you
can go up to it almost anywhere and look in. It seems to defeat the
idea of privacy. Although only natural wood fences are allowed here.