Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Arboga mill converted to VFD control (pictures)

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 07:12:52 -0500, Ignoramus25738

On 2009-08-31, Gunner Asch wrote:
You already have a "remote control" that sets forward/off/reverse and
speed, right?

Yes

A simple Form C toggle switch and a pot in a tiny little box mounted
somewhere on the face of the machine.

Right?

Exactly.

Ive got a number of mills with the VFD mounted in boxes on the wall
Behind the mill, with the simple control device mounted on the head.

Its not rocket science, and it makes the machine safe, secure and
unlikely for the magic smoke to come out.

And its quite easy to simply change the wiring on the existing power
switch to run directly to the VFD and the head switch (I didnt check)
control the VFD, rather than the 3ph power directly.

Well, yes, but it is an on/off switch, and I need a forward/reverse
switch.

Anyway, I did put a cover over the top of the VFD last night, it
should be fine as is.

Lets hope so. Though I suspect, based on my years as a machine tool
mechanic in commercial machine shops...that it wont blow up until the
new owners uses it for more than 30 days...or maybe not. Shrug...

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.