Posted to uk.d-i-y
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default scratchy pots on old bass amp - diyable?

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
Arfa Daily wrote:

Normally John, I would hang on every word that you would have to say on
this group, but not this time. Please please don't recommend that DIYers
bring WD40 anywhere near electronic equipment. It is not designed as a
switch

I have already said its not the best thing for the job, what more do you
want, blood? ;-)

OK, fair enough, but I actually posted that reply before you said that there
were better products. The order that posts appear depend on how quickly they
arrive at the servers.

cleaner / lubricant chemical, and whilst in some very few instances it
may be effective in providing an apparent cure to some electronic ill, in
the vast majority of places that owners try it - for cleaning and
lubricating CD drives, tape decks etc - it spells instant and
irreversible death. I have lost count over the many years that I have
been involved in electronic service, of how many owners' pride and joy
items have been wrecked by use of WD40. My heart sinks every time one
appears on my bench with that characteristic smell wafting up from it ...

Indeed, and I would not suggest it for that application either. However
the one case of a wiping contact as in a pot - I have had some success
with.

I don't doubt it. It's just that WD40 is nasty stuff when it comes to
electronic equipment, and I would rather that DIYers don't get the idea that
it is ok to use it *anywhere* in such items of equipment. It's not just that
there are "better" chemicals for the job. It's more a case of there being
correct ones, and unsuitable ones, and WD40 is a singularly unsuitable one.
It's not even a good lubricant when it comes to plastic, and many pots have
plastic component parts.

Sorry to harp on about this, and it's not particularly a dig at you John.
You've been more than helpful to me over the years, on questions that I have
asked here. It's just that I have seen so much irrepairable damage done to
equipment by people that believe WD40 to be a magic cure-all, that I always
get upset when I see anyone recommending it for tasks such as this.

Arfa

--
Cheers,

John.