Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Dave is offline

Default What happens to greasea as it ages?

Matty F wrote:
On Sep 1, 8:10 am, Dave wrote:
Matty F wrote:

Test your torque wrench at least every year, or preferably every time
you use it!

Now there is a problem here, what do you cross check a torque loader
against? We have no calibrated tools to check them with.

I would check it against a simple spring gauge. Not better than 10%
accurate but a lot better than 100% wrong as was the wrench that was
used.

You have a chicken and egg situation here. How do you check the accuracy
of the spring balance? I suppose you could calibrate it with an empty
paint can and fill it up with a measured amount of water though.

When I worked in the industry, my boss asked me to test some ones own
torque wrench on our calibrated measuring machine that we used to set a
particular torque wrench up with. The wrench was one of those that had
an adjustable rotating handle, so that you could set any torque within
its range and the wrench would 'break' near the end when the torque was
reached. Despite its age, it was remarkably accurate.

Dave