Posted to alt.home.repair
mike mike is offline

Default fencing against house...

On Aug 31, 10:09*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Aug 31, 12:52*pm, mike wrote:

On Aug 31, 9:47*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Aug 31, 12:42*pm, mike wrote:

On Aug 31, 9:32*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Aug 31, 11:31*am, Jules

wrote:
Hi all,

I'm going to be putting up a 4' tall dog fence behind our house (we just
have small dogs). Easy enough, except...

What do people typically do where fences meet (timber) buildings, though?
Leave a small (1 or 2") gap between post and siding, put the post right up
against the siding, or actually cut out the siding and set the post right
against the building's frame (and then seal around it as needed)?

I'm mainly thinking about access issues for replacing siding in a decade
or two (and/or routine painting) - an inch or two gap would still keep
dogs in and should give enough space to replace the siding 'behind' the
post if needed, but maybe there's a another way I haven't thought of (or a
standard way)?

cheers

Jules

If you leave a gap between the post and the house, how will you dig
the post hole?

My guess is that if you try to dig a post hole right next to the
building, you're going to hit a footer or something that might prevent
you from installing the post correctly.

In fact, they mention that here adn offer alternatives:

http://www.renovation-headquarters.com/fence.htm

BTW Have you considering Invisible Fence?- Hide quoted text -

Even if he has an underground obstruction near the house, he could
overhang the 2 x 4 railings to form a small cantilevered fence
section. *It just requires longer 2 x 4's, attaching the flat face of
the rails to the front of the post.

Another option is to install a gate with the latch right on the house.- Hide quoted text -

What did you read that implied 2 x 4 rails would be used?

What did you read that implied it's even a wooden fence?- Hide quoted text -

It's called giving him options. *What did you read that implied that
he was opposed to a wooden fence?- Hide quoted text -

I saw no opposition to a wooden fence at all. What did you read in my
post that implied I saw an implied opposition in the OP?

including the orientation of the face.

I was simply asking why you thought 2 x 4's (or even wood) were
involved when the OP asked only about the installation of the post.- Hide quoted text -

It's called giving him options. How many times do I have to say it?
Why do you think that wood is not going to be involved? Wood fences
happen to make it very easy to cantilever a fence beyond the post if
needed.

What's your problem? Why don't you let Jules say what is and is not
acceptable? Is your name Jules?