Posted to alt.home.repair
mike mike is offline

Default fencing against house...

On Aug 31, 8:31*am, Jules
wrote:
Hi all,

I'm going to be putting up a 4' tall dog fence behind our house (we just
have small dogs). Easy enough, except...

What do people typically do where fences meet (timber) buildings, though?
Leave a small (1 or 2") gap between post and siding, put the post right up
against the siding, or actually cut out the siding and set the post right
against the building's frame (and then seal around it as needed)?

I'm mainly thinking about access issues for replacing siding in a decade
or two (and/or routine painting) - an inch or two gap would still keep
dogs in and should give enough space to replace the siding 'behind' the
post if needed, but maybe there's a another way I haven't thought of (or a
standard way)?

cheers

Jules

Measure your dog's head. I bet you could even get away with a 4 inch
space. In any event, you're right to want to leave some room for
maintenance.