Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default "Backstabbed" wiring: bad rap?

The Daring Dufas wrote in
:

E Z Peaces wrote:
Robert Green wrote:

Newbies and wire nuts don't mix well, either. Stripped end of
wires too long, too short, wrong size nut, wrong mix of wires,
twist not twisted enough. There's no end to sad tales with wire
nuts in the hands of the inexperienced. My favorite is three wires
under one nut with a virtually untwisted center wire that pulls
right out on the first tug. I am much more
concerned with bad wire nutting than with backstabbing.

--
Bobby G.

The connection would probably have been strong if all three wires had
been virtually untwisted. When John Blomstrand filed to patent the
wire nut in 1950, that was his intent. If wires are straight and
solid and of equal gage with even ends, I suppose the threads of a
wire nut should engage every wire in a bundle of as many as six,
mashing them together with no wiggle room.

Thirty years ago it was apparently common for electricians to use
wire nuts badly, twisting wires together clockwise before twisting on
the connector clockwise, then hoping tape would hold everything in
place. I've redone many.

I love wire nuts even for conductors of dissimilar gages and stranded
conductors, each of which may make it trickier to use wire nuts.
Nearly 40 years ago, I installed a fairing on my motorcycle, which
entailed splicing splicing the six stranded conductors of the
fairing's wiring harness to six stranded conductors on my motorcycle.
I used wire nuts.
I've ridden more than 100,000 miles since then and never parked
indoors, and those connections have never needed attention.

Pruning shrubs five years ago, I snipped the cord of my expensive
headphones. The copper strands were too fine to solder, so I taped
the three conductors with masking tape and used a wire nut to apply
pressure and provide mechanical strength. Those phones still work
fine.

There are wire nuts and wing nuts and various designs in between.
The important feature is the design of the spring. The wire nut
had a round wire spring more suitable for stranded wire and the
wing nut had a square wire spring wound with the edges out so it
would cut into solid conductors making a better connection. The
designs have morphed over the years with manufactures claiming
suitability for both stranded and solid wires. I always look in
the cavity of the connector before using it to see how it's made
and/or if the darn spring is even there or corroded. Some of the
wire/wing nuts have expansion room inside for the spring to expand
which can make a better connection. I've grown fond of the newer
push in connectors which I've had very good luck with.

http://tinyurl.com/nw5nt3

TDD

Those are interesting. Never used them for 12/14 wire. Have seen on light
duty apps.