Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Electrical wiring: the "last inch"

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
(Doug Miller) wrote:

If you want to limit the current passing through an LED, you put a
resistor
in
*parallel* with it, not series.

Surely you jest. The resistor absolutely goes in series.

I've read so many erroneous claims in this thread I hardly know where to
start setting the thing straight. In a purely resistive circuit, whether
it's AC or DC, ohm's law rules. You cannot possibly change one without
affecting another.

It is very funny to read many of the past posts. Unless it is something
very unusual, the resistor does go in series with a led , not in parallel.
When using a long extension cord of small wire to power a device, you drop
the voltage at the far end. This usually causes the device to use less
current. There are special cases such as motors where there is not enough
power at the motor so it can run at its rated speed and will burn up.