Posted to uk.d-i-y
Davey Davey is offline

Default Winter heating check

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
Geoff usually posts a reminder about now to make sure your heating is
working ready for the winter. However, since I did mine yesterday and
it's fresh on my mind, I thought I'd post a reminder.

snip

Finally, refilled with fresh inhibitor, bled everything and left the
pump running for a while until sounds of bubbles in pipework
dimished, and then bled again. Reset the radiator stop valves to
their original settings, and let boiler fire up and make sure it's
working and the mid position valve operates correctly. At some
point, I'll check the balancing of the radiators (the two new stop
valves may have different flow from the originals), but that's a job
for when the heating needs to be on anyway, and not now.

And all this would cost how much if done by the Yellow pages
professional?

Thanks for the reminder. I plan to fit a modulating pump this time
round.

I fitted a Grundfos Aplha2 modulating pump last year and was really pleased
with how quiet the heating became. Took a week to "learn" our heating system
and haven't touched it since.

Energy savings means it should pay for itself during it's useful lifetime.