Posted to alt.home.repair
TimR[_2_] TimR[_2_] is offline

Default CFLs vs LEDs vs incandescents: round 1,538

On Aug 28, 10:18*am, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 20:12:42 -0700, Smitty Two

wrote:

[snip]

When I was a kid, we took our coke bottles back to the store to get our
2 cent deposit back. They washed 'em out and refilled 'em. Makes sense
to me.

And I liked drinking Coke much better when it came in those bottles
(that's not JUST because of sugar instead of HFCS).
--
Mark Lloydhttp://notstupid.us

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster

Now I realize we've wandered off topic.

But my employer (US Army) recently sent me to Germany for a few years.

During that time I drank a good bit of German beer, all of it in
recyclable containers.

There was a Getraenkemarkt near my house, and I did some
experimenting, eventually settling on Kulmbacher Edelherb Premium
Pils. Of course at the Getraenkemarkt all you can buy is glass
bottles, with a deposit of 7 Euro cents on each.

In the Esso station you can actually buy aluminum cans, with a deposit
of 25 Euro cents. Europe is set up to encourage recycling with
financial incentives. They discourage aluminum cans for obvious
reasons - much harder to recycle, and Germans recycle 75% of their
waste stream.

In my opinion. Ahem. The best tasting beer in Germany is Jever. But
ONLY if you are allowed to buy it in an aluminum can, which you can
only do at a gas station (Tankstelle) with the usual high markup.
Jever does not survive the damage from light, and I never found a
drinkable glass bottle anywhere in Germany. Brown doesn't matter,
enough light gets through to destroy beer.