Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How many can lights do I need to light my basement.

"sid" wrote in message
Finishing my basement and I need to calculate the number of can lights
needed to install in the drop ceiling. Dimensions are approx 21' x
22' and 7'7" high. I read one post recommending a can light every
4' and another every 6'. I want the space to be lit enough for work
space or food prep, but most of the time I intend to dim them down to
reading, PC, or TV watching levels.

Any suggestions on how to calculate the number and placement of cans ?

*It depends on the size of the recessed light and the bulb that you intend
to use. For bright even lighting with a 4" diameter can you will need to
space them closer together. A 6" can with an R40 bulb can have nice even
illumination 6' apart. As someone else suggested multiple switches can be
helpful for the different uses of the space that you anticipate. Don't plan
on using dimmers with CFL's. There aren't many choices out there and I
haven't heard of any that give satisfactory results.