Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Arboga mill converted to VFD control (pictures)

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 19:16:19 -0500, Ignoramus7041

On 2009-08-31, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 16:20:51 -0500, Ignoramus7041
wrote:

Now this 3 phase mill can run from single phase (regular 220v plug),
it stops in 0.5 seconds thanks to electric braking, and it also
reverses, which is something it was not capable of before.

In addition to the old gearbox speed changer, speed can also be varied
with a pot (0-60 Hz).

All of the above make this machine more desirable.

http://yabe.algebra.com/~ichudov/mis...25-Mill-Drill/

Seriously big pending ****up. That VFD needs to go on the BACKSIDE of
the mill column.

You are going to get chips down into the top of it in its present
location and all the magic smoke is going to come out of it.

At the very very least..put a horizontal thin plate aprox 1" above the
upper vent grid to protect it from **** going down the grid.

Trust me on this. It WILL happen.

Yes, I will put some sort of a thin plate over it asap.

Good catch Gunner. I actually thought to do it, then completely
forgot.

I am reluctant to put it on the back, it will make it hard to
program.

You already have a "remote control" that sets forward/off/reverse and
speed, right?

A simple Form C toggle switch and a pot in a tiny little box mounted
somewhere on the face of the machine.

Right?

Ive got a number of mills with the VFD mounted in boxes on the wall
Behind the mill, with the simple control device mounted on the head.

Its not rocket science, and it makes the machine safe, secure and
unlikely for the magic smoke to come out.

And its quite easy to simply change the wiring on the existing power
switch to run directly to the VFD and the head switch (I didnt check)
control the VFD, rather than the 3ph power directly.

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.