Posted to alt.home.repair
gore[_3_] gore[_3_] is offline

Default Wire nut w/5 #12

"Red" wrote in message
On Aug 26, 7:25 pm, sid wrote:
On Aug 26, 4:41 pm, "gore" wrote:

"sid" wrote in message

Can someone tell me the best way to wire-nut 5 #12 wires in a 4x4"
box. I know that a red nut will accept 5 #12 solid wires, but is
there a better way ? I have seen posts that talk about con-blocks and
others that talk about compression nuts. I can't find either at
HomeDepot or any other big box.

Any help is appreciated.

Ideal makes push in connectors similar to these in I have seen up to six
conductors.

http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/...rs/push-in-wir...

They really do work well in where space is an issue.

I did see these at HomeDepot, but when you examine them up close, I
don't see how that could not melt when subject to any amperage.
The expert on hand said that some/most the new light fixtures have
these provided as opposed to wire-nuts with the fixture in the box.- Hide
quoted text -

I saw them also, but on reading the fine wording it stated "for ground
connections". Also, how would the block be any different than back-
stabbed recepticals, which are no longer allowed for #12 wire???

Red

I read the label on the container of the Ideal In-Sure Push-In connector,
and it does not mention for ground connections anywhere. It says #12 - #20
solid, and also various sizes of stranded copper only. The way these differ
from backstab receptacles is there is more surface area contact. On the
label it says 600V, but stamped on the device is 20A 300V. Also on the label
is a heat rating of 105C (221F).