Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default truing round stock

On Aug 30, 9:57*am, Qiset wrote:
* I've got some round mild steel that is the perfect diameter for an
item I want to make. *(0.187in dia) * I have an 5 inch length that is
a bit out of round. *Suspending one in in my mill with it's drill
chuck, the other end moves 0.028in when I turn in slowly.

Does that mean out of round, or bent?

If bent, one way to remove a gentle bend is to heat it,
and quickly chill the (inside, I think) of the curve with
an ice cube. If it were bigger, 'flame straightening' would
be the recommended procedure.

I'd start, though, with a soft (brass?) hammer against a soft
anvil, or maybe even some shims and a vise.