Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Recycling CFLs: yeah, right!

On Aug 29, 7:43*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 8/29/2009 5:01 PM Steve Barker spake thus:

I've '****canned' as you say, thousands of straight fluorescent tubes
and i'd bet that before i'm over, i will have '****canned' a few hundred
CFL's. *I can't believe someone or some group make such a big deal out
of this. *DAMN, people, just live life, *don't make it an ordeal.

So Don (Klipstein): how much mercury has this guy released into the
environment, based on the numbers of tubes/bulbs he gave?

A wall thermostat might equal 1000 cfls, have you ever thrown away
one? Airborn mercury is what has made our fish toxic on inland
waterways in the US, coal burning does that. over the life of burning
a cfl you keep about 2.5x the mercury from entering the envirionment
as a cfl has from burning coal. Nuclear plants dont emit this poison
thats airborn, cfls-flourescents are buried, this discussion and worry
of cfls is narrow minded. The dumps these theing go to have untold
more serious unknown dangers than cfls. If you were worried about
mercury you would be looking to change the real cause of it, coal
burning. Nuclear, Solar, Wind are the only remedies. You Neb, hate
nuclear, but coal is the real problem you fail to comprehend. Buy cfls
they are better for all.