Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Recycling CFLs: yeah, right!

Steve Barker wrote:

I've '****canned' as you say, thousands of straight fluorescent tubes
and i'd bet that before i'm over, i will have '****canned' a few
hundred CFL's. I can't believe someone or some group make such a big
deal out of this. DAMN, people, just live life, don't make it an
ordeal.

In his (small) book, "The True Beliver," which I encourage you to read, Eric
Hoffer observed: "People mind their own business when it is worth minding.
When it's not, they take their mind off their own meaningless affairs by
minding other people's business."

Though writtnen in 1950 or so, Hoffer's book explains mass movements and the
people who gravitate toward them. It has helped me tremendously in
understanding the motivations behind the agitators.

From Wikipedia:

"Hoffer argues that mass movements ... spread by promising a glorious
future. To be successful, these mass movements need the adherents to be
willing to sacrifice themselves and others for the future goals. To do so,
mass movements need to devalue both the past and the present. Mass movements
appeal to frustrated people who are dissatisfied with their current state,
but are capable of a strong belief in the future. As well, mass movements
appeal to people who want to escape a flawed self by creating an imaginary
self and joining a collective whole. Some categories of people who may be
attracted to mass movements include poor people, misfits, and people who
feel thwarted in their endeavors."